Tuesday 31 January 2017

Boy







I have been trying to broaden my horizons, starting this month by looking at new to me challenge blogs.
So, I came across "The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge" and I liked what I saw.
This month, it is...Put a stencil on it, which is what I did! last minute I know!

I started in my repurposed girls annual by applying crackle paste through a lettered stencil. I continued the stencilling across the page using Coffee Archival. I stamped a Dina Wakley scribble stamp and then applied a spray of water and Bister powders.


Next, I stamped with a Paperartsy favourite of mine from Ink and the Dog, School Days 1 , and assembled a few possessions of the boy!
I created a book for him using a small Spanish dictionary, hessian and leather. I stitched it together and then sanded back to age the leather. Reminds me of my old school satchel.


So, a little wrinkle free distress, and a fiddle with the possessions and I was happy.

This boy reminds me of my Dad who was born in 1909 and had to endure a difficult time taught by nuns! He was very academic but used to run away, they were grooming him for the priesthood and, luckily for me, he resisted. 
I have a photo of him which is similar to this, but he has a black eye, from fighting in the playground.

I have really enjoyed creating this tonight and am happy to enter it into the Mixed Media monthly Challenge.

There was great inspiration from all of the design team, Lynnes layering, textures from Karen, and great dimension from Clare. 


7 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad your Dad did resist Hazel or we wouldn't have had the pleasure of seeing your art let alone knowing you!

    Love this challenge entry piece, lots of depth and texture and, of course, my favourite neutral shades so what's not to like for me. Fab schoolboy image too (think I have that one ;-D)

    Good luck with the challenge.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel, I adore your boy spread, fabulous textures with the crackle, hessian and leather. Loved the story about your dad too.

    Thanks for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly too! Just letting you know though, in order to qualify for our prize you will have to add our logo thingy (one of those silly challenge rules)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Astrid, I am very new to all this.

      Delete
  3. Love your page Hazel, so full of vintage layers, creates fabulous texture. Gorgeous! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love this Hazel, I really like your background, and your story about your dad made me laugh. Lucky for you the nuns gave up on him! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your grouping and gorgeous vintage design. This pushes all of my artsy buttons. I am in love!!! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete