Wednesday, 16 May 2018
I have been sidelined recently by an amazing free online course called Sketchbook Revival. There have been some amazing lessons on there from about 20 different artists.
I try to do something in my sketchbook everyday and yesterday I did a double page spread of my Prima watercolour paint tins.
The one on this page is a little set that I bought from PaperArtsy on their final trip to Ally Pally....sob!
Because they are largely neutrals, I thought that I could enter it into the Vintage Neutrals PaperArtsy challenge.
At the bottom of the page, I created a very quick watercolour of one of the flower borders in my garden. It was a blissfully peaceful exercise.
Sunday, 29 April 2018
Loving the challenge over on the PaperArtsy blog which is Kraft card. Had every intention to join in....where has the 2 weeks gone? then Darcy reminded us and here I am......last minute entry.
On my kraft card I stamped some PaperArtsy mini stamps and printed some patterns using Coffee Archival ink. I bubble wrap printed some white circles and also used the white paint to add texture to my various corrugated cards. I added some treasure Gold Onyxite also and distressed the edges with Black Soot Distress inks.
I added some sepia tissue which I bought from PA at Ally Pally recently.
Arranged my bits and bobs and stitched around the edges.
Enjoyed this, so, thanks for the reminder Darcybobs!
Wednesday, 11 April 2018
I haven't joined in much of anything recently, so, needed to get back into things with the latest PaperArtsy Challenge which is "Bunting".
So, in one of my small journals, I began by creating an Oxide background and stamped some of my favourite Jofy stamps.
Some colouring in with oxides and Posca Pens, a little sparkle with Stickles and lots of spattering.
My bunting was from some paper stash and string.
A quick play and very enjoyable. Nice to get some old stamps out.
Wednesday, 7 March 2018
I do like the whimsical style, but it is not my go to. However, when I saw that the latest PaperArtsy Challenge was Whimsy, I felt compelled to enter.
I have been following Tamara Laporte on Lifebook, recommended by Chris Cresswell, and found her video about The Garden Fairy fascinating. She includes so much detail and, unlike me, takes her time.
So, inspired by Tamara, here is my garden fairy. The words, Love, Hope and Peace are secreted around the picture. I have used a variety of PaperArtsy fresco paints for my background.
This took me a couple of days, which is very rare for me.
So, am entering this into the PA Challenge.
Sunday, 4 March 2018
I just looked on the PaperArtsy blog and was surprised that the watercolour challenge was to finish in 52 minutes. So, I rushed around and quickly produced my entry!
First, I found a sunset picture to copy.
I watercoloured a background to look like a sunset. Because the image was on my computer screen,I had to stand up in front of it and quickly get the paint down! What a loon!
I quickly drew some trees in black, using a paintbrush, found that it was a bit fat and used a smaller one and scribbled some branches with a Black Fudeball Pen.
I darkened the foreground and used a fab Alison Bomber stamp which looks wonky but isn't, it was just all a rush!
Entering this into the PaperArtsy challenge!
Sunday, 25 February 2018
A couple of weeks ago, inspired by an online course "Studying the Masters", I ordered some Sennelier Oil Pastels.
They are deliciously creamy and I needed to play with them straight away.
So, in my tiny 4"x4" pink pig sketch book, I tried my hand at portraiture.
I began by drawing myself, through the mirror, using the pastels and so that I wasn't too precious about it, I worked on top of some printing that was waiting to be finished. Was quite pleased.
Next, from a photo, I created an image of my Granddaughter Rose.
Then my son Richard.
I was pleasantly surprised at my efforts and need to do more!
Taken me ages to get around to blogging them!
Wednesday, 10 January 2018
The second of my studies about Vincent was his oil painting of his friend Joseph Roulin. This is his painting above.
A scary project to try as there is so much detail and so much to go wrong.
Under the guidance of Jeanne Oliver I had a go, and was surprisingly pleased with my efforts.
Next, I white gessoed over the whole thing and then added some umber acrylic paint both on Joseph and for the background.
Worked on the face and beard and began to create the wallpaper.
And my finished piece. I have learned loads about mixing his colours and layering for depth. Enjoying a great course and I am going to do more work inspired by Vincent.