Tuesday 23 June 2015

Stencil Transfers

I am a busy bee this week and have been playing nicely night after night.
Today, I decided to try the Paperartsy challenge about stencils.
I wanted to something a bit different and found an idea in a copy of Cloth, Paper, Scissors.
I was blown away by this technique!

First, I selected a picture from a magazine...not too glossy! Chose Kanye West on the front of the Times mag.
I placed my stencil over the top and applied clear parcel tape in long strips, making sure that they overlapped by about half an inch and went over the edges.


Next, I rubbed both sides of the image onto the stencil to engage the print with the sticky tape. You begin to see the pattern of the stencil on the back.
Next step was to immerse the whole thing in warm water for a few minutes. Here it is in the sink.


Very quickly the paper can be peeled from the back and then any excess can be scraped off with your nails...it really was easy.
Next thing was to air dry it. I put it out in the garden. You can see the weave through the picture.


When it was dry, I peeled it from the stencil.

Next, I created a background for it in my journal. I have used PA fresco paints, Glass Blue, Space Cadet, Limelight, Zesty zing and Caribbean sea. I added a few dots through a stencil and scribbled a bit.


The final step was to place my image over the top. It stuck down well as the tape had remained sticky.
It is a good idea to brayer over it to secure it.


So, this is my finished page. The technique has a wealth of possibilities and I will certainly try this again. I could go on to work over it in parts, maybe journalling with a white pen...I could also have cut up the tape before sticking down. I really wanted to share this idea.
So, I am entering it into the PA challenge.

Just gone back and written on it! 







16 comments:

  1. Brilliant. CPS has the best ideas and I love what you have done with this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great technique, and you have used to create fantastic page. Love it Hazel thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh fab effect, love it, his glasses look brilliant xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great effect, you did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic effect this is Hazel! I can see so many possibilities for it as a technique. Thank you so much for sharing here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool technique & the finished page looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool technique and I will be pinning this to try in the future! Thanks for sharing, and your page is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an amazing technique. Love the result, its stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Stunning page, great technique and idea Hazel!! I tried the clear parcel tape transfer with some magazine, it was very easy and very fun. I'll use it someday, thank you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading CPS only yesterday and was interested by this technique - your instructions are even clearer, so thank you! I can't wait to have a go at this now.

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this technique Hazel, I knew the packing tape one but combining with stencils... inspired! Love your arty finished piece too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, so clever ...and so cool. Will have to try this, fabulous effect Hazel! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting technique. A great page.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing technique - thanks for sharing your how-to - and what fabulous results too! Brilliant page, Hazel.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this Hazel, an interesting addition can be achieved by rubbing something metallic to the leftover sticky bits.. such as a metallic powder or gilding flakes. I really like that you added the writing over the top.

    ReplyDelete