Tuesday 21 January 2014

Ellen Vargo Abstract cards.

Just wanted to start off by saying how excited I am to have been introduced to Ellen's work.
Her work is so fresh and vibrant and I want a piece of that.
I always get excited when I am crafting and I can honestly say that this time the excitometer nearly blew a gasket. I haven't used my brayer in such a gung-ho way before and because I am Mrs Messy this technique really suited my style.
First I chose the following frescos and inks.
I just went for it and brayered in horizontal and vertical lines. not very accurate but learning as I went. I messily stamped with PA numbers in fresco paint and PA script in archival coffee.
I sort of thought that I had lost the plot by this time but stuck with it. nothing to lose! I tore some sheet music,glued it and knocked it back with watered frescos.
I stamped with a PA clock stamp in Snowflake. Wasn't convinced but followed the Ellen route; chopped them up, stamped a couple of PA images in Black Archival and BINGO, think that this is when the plan came together. (Knew all along that it would ) .
By this stage I was really pleased with them and decided not to cover them up with large sentiment on paper so stamped directly onto 3 with Lin's new stamps and onto sheet music with the fourth. Inked around the edges with Vintage Photo distress ink and sat grinning at them.
This is my favourite one. Thankyou so much Ellen, you are a star!

Cant stop grinning. Will develop this technique.

22 comments:

  1. Funny how they look completely different when they are chopped into smaller pieces isn't it. Glad you stuck with it, you've come out the other end with fabulous results. Can't wait to have a play myself.

    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're fab! Love all of them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Hazel, fab colours, love Ellen's work going to be a busy week on the blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loo trying again, lovely work Hazel, I can see it being a busy week in blog land

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you like this abstract malarky lol. Your take on Ellen's technique is vibrant & fun, fantastic when cut up.

    Stunning work Hazel:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to persevere with my background I started because they obviously look better finished than in the prep - LOVE these, especially your favourite! I love Ellen's work, have been following her blog for ages now, she's amazing.,

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look terrific, so polished and professional! No wonder you can't stop grinning. Lovely work! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great Hazel! Well done you.

    Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. perhaps I wont give up with brayer just yet - these look so brilliant. Amazing how they completely change when cut up - your choice of stamps also work really well..xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! really love them. I am a fan of layered backgrounds, i do them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like your cards Hazel I love the way you have built so many layers into them all which compliment each other. Looks like you had great fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. And... thank you SO much for all the wonderful things you said in your blog - big smiles here - really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant cards. Beautiful background with many layers, I never use brayer yet but it's great fun you did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love how you follow your instinct zim bud. It's all about contrast and balance, and sometimes it doesn't come together until the last minute. But the horizontal and vertical thing is also key, if you over complicate in the early stages, then there is a conflict with the top layers/focal point. Plus dont forget you always have paint to use to knock back at any stage and blend the BG a little. Abstract are my fave types of BG, and I think you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Know how you feel Hazel...wasn't this such great fun?!
    You mastered the technique perfectly, your cards are amazing!
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! I LOVE these. So bright and fun. The exuberance just comes through your writing so loud and clear. You are totally my people :-)

    Adding you to my RSS reader so I won't miss any posts. So glad we connected (thanks, Darcy!)

    Warmly,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hazel, they are lovely, the colours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've really run with this technique Hazel! Fabulous results and most importantly you enjoyed the process.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh boy these turned out well. I am with you Ellen is amazing they are really fresh ideas. Love the colours and the bird cage stamp. I can't wait to try this x

    ReplyDelete